My Co-Workers

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Family Ties

This past weekend, I packed up my little family and headed home (to Indiana). We had a lovely flight - Wildhairboy was ecstatic for his first trip in First Class - even attempted to read USA Today like the rest of the passengers). This was a very special trip, it was also one filled with much apprehension for myself. I hadn't been home since my Dad died over three years ago, and I was going to visit his side of the family. Added to the mix of this was the fact that I also brought along my mom (they had been divorced since 1986).


The weekend was absolutely delightful. Many little reunions among the larger one - great food (thank you Katie), and special time with my grandma (she turned 87 the week before). I realized through this visit that there are ties that bind families - they transcend time and distance. They can be as simple as the blue eyes and dark hair that many of us share, or as transparent as fleeting memories of grandma's kitchen table. Regardless of how far we travel or where we live, we are family - and that is the most important tie :)

4 comments:

me said...

well stated. we're so glad you could visit!

k

MB said...

Indeed. That was a really fun weekend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture.

Sara B said...

a great picture, a great post and a great weekend! so much fun to see you all :)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm glad it was such a neat weekend for you!