My Co-Workers

Saturday, May 3, 2008

let's hear it for the boy....

Today was one of those days that a mother looks to with both excitement and dread.... Wildhairboy participated in his 5th karate tournament today. He came in second place in the first 4 - something that has bothered him greatly. Thankfully the dojo we belong to holds what they call "winner tournaments" - all the kids come away with either a first or second place trophy. I think this is meant to soften the blow (pardon the pun) for the kids that don't excel in the sport as much as others. The ride home from the last tournament was gut wrenching - wildhairboy sobbed after "winning" his second place tournament. Being a caring mom, I tried to console him as much as I could - ended up giving up on trying to hug him happy, wiped the tears from my eyes and drove straight to McDonald's for ice-cream (I come from a long line of food pushers - it comes naturally).



Today I think both he and I were dreading the tournament (perhaps, I was more so dreading the ride home) - anywho.... the ride home from today's tournament was much different than the last. Wildhairboy won FIRST PLACE. I was so happy for him - my heart lept! I'm not a die-hard competitive person, but he is - he was so proud of himself, he was literally beaming!



Way to go wildhairboy! Mom loves you :)

2 comments:

me said...

hey wildhairmama! can't wait to see you next month. that's great about WHB. good for him!
love,
me

Sara B said...

Congratulations to WHB! And, of course, to his mother :) Looking very forward to June and your visit!


P.S.
"...a long line of food pushers." How true. Hilarious! (Sort of.)